Visiting Tokyo, whether for the first, second or hundredth time, is a life-changing experience. As a city, it’s dynamic, exciting and resolutely individual - a mesmerising and unrivaled parade of fashion, design, architecture, the highest of high culture and the best pop culture in the world. It’s also a city of fascinating contrasts; whether you’re standing in the middle of the Shibuya Scramble, a blur of pedestrians rushing past you, or standing before a small shrine, quiet and contemplative, you will feel the intensity of this very special city.
This visually stunning travel guide is a celebration of contemporary Tokyo. It’s a tightly curated list of must-see places and experiences as well as the authors’ tried-and-tested favourites. It’s for people who want to get an up close and personal look at the real Tokyo - the hidden finds, the architectural marvels, where to go to get into the thick of it and where to go to escape the madness.
Find out about:
· Traditional culture, customs and clothing
· Tokyo by area: a look at the precincts of Tokyo
· Architecture and history of different precincts
· Creative culture: a look at art and design, spaces and places
· Pop culture
· Food and drink: including an insiders’ guide to ramen
· Gardens and exploring on foot
2018 Steve Wide & Michelle Mackintosh